He has been retained as trusted counsel to the CEO’s and leadership teams of some of Canada’s largest private sector organizations. He has consulted to a wide variety of private and public sector organizations in Canada, the United States, Europe, and Africa for over 20 years. Four of these years also involved senior management responsibility with a public social service and research agency in Western Canada.
In addition to ongoing assessment, and development coaching with senior individuals and teams in a variety of industries (e.g., natural resources, health care, insurance, retail, manufacturing, consumer products, food manufacturing and distribution, financial services, professional services) the following assignments are examples of recent work:
- Over a decade of leadership talent identification and coaching to feed the succession planning of one of Canada’s largest retail organizations
- Succession planning and executive development with one of Canada’s largest telecommunications companies, including: defining the desired executive competencies, assessing the top 200 executives and senior managers to identify ‘high potentials’, facilitating individual development plans, reporting to the Board on the organization’s depth and breadth of talent, consulting on senior succession decisions
- Assess leadership talent and propose the succession plan for the executive team of a large, national employee benefits administration organization
- Benchmark and propose redesign of leadership development and succession planning for a large national multimedia broadcasting organization
- Design and facilitate post-acquisition integration activities for the merger of two of Canada’s largest hospitals.
Calvin obtained his honors undergraduate degree in psychology at Brock University and went on to complete his doctorate in Applied Social Psychology at the University of Saskatchewan. He has been a Registered Psychologist in Ontario since 1985. He received training in negotiation and conflict management from Roger Fisher (Getting to Yes) at the Harvard Law School. He is certified to administer the Center for Creative Leadership’s “Benchmarks” leadership development tool and has studied executive development processes at CCL.